Jobs In Public Radio
Wed June 13, 2012
WWNO Seeks News Director
Interested in a career in the Big Easy? WWNO in New Orleans is in the market for a News Director.
"This is one of most exciting news positions in public radio right now and it happens to be in one of America's most dynamic cities. If you're serious about your journalism and want to make a real difference in people's lives, this job is all that and more." - Russell Lewis, NPR Southern Bureau Chief (and former New Orleans resident)
WWNO is currently accepting applications for the full-time position of News Director. This is a new position and is an important part of a renewed station emphasis on local content.
The news director will manage the daily flow of news content, which includes serving as executive producer of local newscasts during Morning Edition and All Things Considered, as well as locally produced news features. As News Director, they will develop and guide the news department's professional and civic duties, in addition to the production, editing, development and delivery of news specials and reports.
The news director will also supervise staff members and coordinate independent producers to work as a team telling the ongoing story of one of the most unique American cities, New Orleans. They will oversee all news and information programming and will shape our entire news product, including new media. The News Director will also produce pieces for local and national distribution. Duties also include hosting or substitute hosting the local segments of All Things Considered or Morning Edition, as well as public affairs programming including our local weekly newsmagazine program, All Things New Orleans.
· A minimum of 3 years professional broadcast journalism experience including work in a multi-person radio newsroom (preferably in public radio).
· Bachelor’s degree in field related to broadcast journalism or equivalent experience.
· Strong people skills with demonstrated abilities as a newsroom mentor; previous supervisory experience preferred.
· Sharp news judgment plus excellent reporting, writing, editing and digital audio production skills.
· On-air news anchoring and reporting experience.
· Candidates must be experienced journalists and managers who are ready to innovate to deliver news on radio and online.
· Proficiency in digital editing.
Masters Degree in Journalism or related field
To apply, please send resume, cover letter and audio samples to:
News Director Search
Attention: Paul Maassen
University of New Orleans
2000 Lakeshore Drive
New Orleans, LA 70148
or via email to email@example.com.
(No phone calls, please)
DATE POSTED: June 7, 2012.
CLOSING DATE: Position will remain open until filled. To assure full consideration, applications should be received by June 30, 2012.
The University of New Orleans is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Women, ethnic minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.