- Station: WLRN Public Media
- Company: South Florida Public Media
- FLSA Status: Full-Time Exempt
- Reports to: News Director
- Schedule: 9 am- 6 pm, Monday through Friday, or as assigned
- Location: Primarily Palm Beach County, FL
(1) Fill out the job application form here or at the end of the post. Then, submit (2) a cover letter, (3) a resume or CV, (4) five work samples (links or mp3s) and (5) at least three references who have worked closely with you and can speak of your qualifications for the position.
Email all the materials to email@example.com and include “General Assignment Reporter - Palm Beach” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This general assignment reporter will pitch, report, write and produce spot news, feature and enterprise stories and digital content for WLRN daily newscasts, digital platforms and news-related and public affairs programming. This reporter will reside in Palm Beach County and work outside of the newsroom a majority of the time, filing radio and digital reports from the field.
- Pitches and formulates original story ideas
- Builds on existing enterprise stories
- Produces interviews with newsmakers
- Produces stories on deadline
- Reports live from the field
- Produces content primarily from the field
- Contributes to WLRN public affairs programs
- Continues to hone beat and build sources
- Works with digital editor(s) to develop original content for WLRN.org
- Supplies images and photos for blog posts and social media
- Produces news-related content for social media
- Participates in live and online events and special appearances
- Participates in staff meetings
- Participates in professional development opportunities
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Five (5) years minimum professional experience in a newsroom
- Exceptional verbal and written skills
- Ability to report and write for broadcast and digital
- Ability to use creative audio storytelling techniques
- Fluency in and ability to operate news-gathering technologies, platforms, equipment and software.
- Ability to operate digital recording equipment
- Ability to mix and edit using digital audio editing program(s)
- Ability to voice stories and interviews with authority
- Ability to produce content for digital platforms including online and social media
- Understanding of and adherence to journalistic ethics
- Must be able to work independently, as well as collaboratively
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position; must live in Palm Beach County or relocate within 90 days of accepting position.