WFYI Seeks an Impact Editor, Health Reporting. This is a full-time, salaried, temporary (two-year grant funded assignment) reporting directly to WFYI Vice President of Content, from whom overall direction is received, with significant and specific assignment input and direction from Managing Editor, Health Reporting . This position works closely with Manager, Philanthropic Giving.
The Impact Editor leads efforts to build a distribution network across platforms in order to extend the reach of WFYI’s health news service, and provides editorial input to help shape the news product. The Impact Editor coordinates the content production process, tracks impact and reach, and manages evaluation, and grant reporting.
- Responsible for developing relationships with news outlets (newspapers, alternative weeklies, broadcast outlets, digital media) to ensure timely carriage and republication of WFYI’s health news reports in Indiana and in the region.
- Establishes and maintains systems for tracking distribution, audience reach and other quantitative impact measures.
- Joins editorial meetings and contributes coverage planning input and story ideas gleaned from working with distribution partners.
- Manages budget and production schedules and provides input to develop efficient editorial processes and workflows in the team.
- Creates regular evaluations of, and reports on, the success of news service distribution.
- Coordinates with Managing Editor, Health Reporting, and Community Engagement Specialist to ensure timely delivery of grant reports to funders. Provides detailed updates and input to Manager, Philanthropic Giving, who will compile and file all funder reports.
- Manages part-time or contract personnel to support reporting and budget management for other health news funders.
- Ensures compliance with, and accurate reporting of, grant-funded deliverables and station partner communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or equivalent work experience required
- A minimum of two years’ news room experience
- A minimum of five years in progressively responsible professional experience
- Significant experience managing projects, preferably for a media organization
- Excellent communication skills and a commitment to collaborative work and learning
- Proficiency in MS Excel and project management software
- Experience using data to inform strategy and decision-making preferred
- Must have demonstrated exceptional relationship- building skillset
- Ability to excel in a team environment with a high level of personal motivation
- Background in or knowledge of public health, social or health sciences or social work preferred
- Core Values: Must possess shared WFYI core values of Resourcefulness, Creativity, Non-biased Objectivity, and ability to work diligently, doing 'Whatever it Takes' to accomplish our goals.
To Apply: Send cover letter (including salary requirements) and resume to email@example.com,
Human Resources, WFYI, 1630 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202,
on or before January 30, 2017. Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.