WFYI is seeking a full time, temporary (two-year, grant-funded assignment) Health Reporter. The position reports directly to Managing Editor, Health Reporting
The Health Reporter produces compelling stories for radio and digital for WFYI’s health news service. The reporter will immerse him or herself in communities in Central Indiana to discover and report on important public health issues these communities face. The Health Reporter will craft narrative stories that use characters, scene and sound in creative ways to help people understand complex issues. This position requires advanced skills in news reporting, sound editing and studio and field production, as well as skill in writing and producing stories for web.
- Reports and produces audio stories for radio broadcast and digital platforms, and collaborate with the nationally recognized reporting collaborative, Side Effects Public Media
- Writes and produces high quality digital stories, appropriate for distribution to other news outlets.
- Takes high quality photographs to accompany digital stories.
- Builds online posts using the NPR Core Publisher content management system (or similar CMS).
- Builds expertise on the public health beat by getting to know the communities in Central Indiana and by attending workshops and doing background research, to generate ideas for high quality enterprise and investigative stories.
- Contributes to editorial meetings and works collaboratively with team of editors and reporters to conceive and execute stories and series.
- Provides updates to social media channels to drive audience engagement.
- Contributes ideas for interactive graphics and web videos and collaborates to produce them.
- Provides input on audience engagement strategies to Community Engagement Specialist and Digital Producer.
- Contributes to live events and live or taped radio shows.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism or equivalent work experience required.
- Advanced skills in sound editing and studio and field production
- A minimum of two years reporting experience in news writing, editing and reporting for print or online and broadcast media.
- Expertise in public health, social or health sciences or social work preferred
- Flexibility of schedule required, as position entails some travel throughout Indiana
- Must have experience with social media platforms and community engagement tools and with producing in content management systems such as Core Publisher or WordPress.
- Core Values: Must possess shared WFYI core values of Resourcefulness, Creativity, Non-biased Objectivity, and ability to work diligently, doing 'Whatever it Takes' to accomplish our goals.
- Ability to excel in a team environment with a high level of personal motivation.
To Apply: Send cover letter (including salary requirements) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, Human Resources, WFYI Public Media, 1630 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202-2389 on or before Monday, January 30, 2017. Please, no walk-ins or phone calls.