WFYI is seeking a Digital Producer, Health Reporting. This is a full-time, temporary (two-year, grant-funded) position that reports directly to the Web Editor, with significant and specific assignment input and direction from the Managing Editor, Health Reporting.
The Digital Producer is responsible for shaping the digital content strategy for WFYI’s health news service and for growing digital reach and engagement. The Digital Producer works with reporters and editors from the beginning of the story process to create compelling digital content that deepens readers’ experience and understanding, and which reaches audiences most likely to engage with it.
- Work with reporters to produce digital packages, including editing text and headlines for web, researching photos, and creating graphics and interactives.
- Develop and implement social media and digital engagement strategy to grow audience and engagement for the health news service.
- Builds online posts, sections and features using the NPR Core Publisher content management system, or another CMS such as WordPress.
- Build online relationships with communities and audiences whose interests align with our health news topics and engage them with our work.
- Prepare social media campaign elements to share with distribution partners for promoting high-impact stories or series that they republish.
- Follow developments in the health beat, especially in Indiana, and write short reports for the health news website, newsletter, and news service. Employs digital analytics tools and engagement best practices to interpret and grow digital audience.
- Enhance and maintain systems for distributing digital stories to distribution partners and troubleshoot technical problems with systems we use including Core Publisher and the PMP. Research and experiment with new digital distribution platforms.
- Manages a pool of freelance digital contributors.
- Experience working in an online news environment, preferably in public media
- Excellent communication skills and a commitment to collaborative work and learning
- The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and to work under deadline pressure
- A demonstrated grasp of tools and techniques for the visual presentation of data online
- Demonstrated proficiency in all facets of online content production, including writing and AP Style, basic audio and video production, and photography and photo editing
- Knowledge of SEO principles and best practices
- Experience with analyzing traffic and reach data and with applying analytics data for decision-making and audience growth
- Exposure to and experience with a variety of content management platforms
- Demonstrated knowledge of social media strategies and best practices
- A demonstrated grasp of graphic design for the web preferred
- Experience with data analysis preferred
- Expertise in public health, social or health sciences or social work preferred
- Core Values: Must possess shared WFYI core values of Resourcefulness, Creativity, Non-biased Objectivity, and ability to work diligently, doing 'Whatever it Takes' to accomplish our goals.
To Apply: Send cover letter (including salary requirements) and resume to email@example.com, Human Resources, WFYI, 1630 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202, on or before Monday, January 30, 2017. Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.