Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
This reporter will cover government in the Pittsburgh region as part of a four-person team, producing features and newscast stories for WESA’s broadcast and website. The reporter is experienced covering policy, campaigns, and issues surrounding the accountability of city, state, and federal officials. This individual will also strive to tell the human stories of people impacted by government and legal decisions. This full-time exempt position reports to the News Director.
- Work with the government team and the News Director to develop the vision and scope of WESA’s government reporting
- Research, report, write, and produce multimedia spot and feature stories for WESA’s air and its digital platforms, at a rate that meets newsroom productivity goals
- Consistently generate and pitch creative, thoughtful and original story ideas in multiple media, while accepting and willingly execute assignments from newsroom managers
- Be skilled at mixing and editing one’s own audio reports, including in the field
- Be skilled at writing crisp, clear news reports on deadline for web
- Be willing and able to take still photos and video in the field
- Use social media to break news, engage audiences and expand one’s source base
- Be willing to work during off hours and weekends as needed
- Make public appearances as needed to enhance WESA’s engagement and brand
- Participate in on-air and online fundraising as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism-related field or equivalent experience / training
- Fifteen or more years of reporting in a professional newsroom environment
- Experience covering Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania government a plus
- Sound and ethical judgment, with a commitment to objectivity, balance and fairness
- Strong reporting, writing and technical skills
- Ability to gather quality field audio, to edit and mix ably for use on air or digital platforms
- Self-motivated team player with a track record of producing daily news stories and features of interest to local audiences
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Creativity and sound judgment in social media usage
- Ability to travel throughout the region and work flexible hours when necessary, including reliable vehicle, current driver license, clean driving record, and adequate auto insurance
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation offers:
Salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package that includes medical insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, 403(b) plan with matching contributions, paid vacation and holidays and a workplace culture that is fun, diverse and innovative.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter, resume, at least three samples of work relevant to this position, and three references to email@example.com. In your email, let us know how you heard about the position.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.