This reporter will cover fast-moving breaking news in the Pittsburgh region, with an emphasis on producing spot reports for WESA newscasts. The reporter is comfortable reporting on a wide array of topic areas, as well as producing stories for multiple media, including audio, text, video, information graphics and social media. The reporter will be assigned to work with WESA’s morning team, in order to build a foundation for the station’s news coverage throughout the day.
- Research, report, write, and produce multimedia spot stories for WESA’s air and its digital platforms, at a rate that meets newsroom productivity goals
- Consistently generate and pitch creative, thoughtful and original story ideas in multiple media, while accepting and willingly execute assignments from newsroom managers
- Be skilled at mixing and editing one’s own audio reports, including in the field
- Be skilled at writing crisp, clear news reports on deadline for web
- Be willing and able to take still photos and video in the field
- Use social media to break news, engage audiences and expand one’s source base
- Be willing to work during off hours and weekends as needed
- Make public appearances as opportunity arises to enhance WESA’s brand
- Participate in on-air and online fundraising as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism-related field or equivalent experience / training
- One or more years of reporting in a professional broadcast newsroom environment with multimedia news content training and experience
- Strong on-air and digital reporting, writing and technical skills
- Ability to gather quality field audio, to edit and mix ably for use on air or digital platforms
- Self-motivated team player with a track record of producing daily news stories and features of interest to local audiences
- Sound and ethical judgment, with a commitment to objectivity, balance and fairness
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Knowledge of Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania is helpful
- Demonstrated ability to shoot and edit video and photos
- Creativity and sound judgment in social media usage
- Ability to travel throughout the region and work flexible hours when necessary, including reliable vehicle, current driver license, clean driving record, and adequate auto insurance
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation is an independent public media organization located in the historic South Side of Pittsburgh, PA. Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation is a 501-c3 non-profit operating independent public radio stations 90.5 WESA and sister station 91.3 WYEP.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation offers:
Salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package that includes medical insurance, paid medical leave, 403(b) plan with matching contributions, paid vacation and holidays and a workplace culture that is fun, diverse and progressive.
Applicants are invited to send cover letter, resume, at least three samples of work relevant to this positon, and references to GAemail@example.com. In your response, let us know how you heard about the position.
Please, no phone calls.
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- Status: Full-time exempt
- Reports to: News Director
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.