Valley Public Radio in Fresno, CA is seeking a reporter to cover news in California’s San Joaquin Valley. The ideal candidate is a gifted journalist who seeks out stories that would otherwise go untold, possesses innate curiosity and determination in reporting a story. The candidate will be eager to work in a small but ambitious newsroom, and will be well versed in sharing stories on multiple platforms. The position will encompass reporting on issues of health and diverse communities, and some general assignment work.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Produce audio reporting in both spot news and feature-length formats that is compelling, thoroughly reported and vividly presented.
- Produce content for multiple platforms, including radio, the web, social media
- Participate in station programs/events to discuss and share your reporting
- Compliance with all Valley Public Radio/White Ash Broadcasting policies
- Other duties as assigned
- Superior writing, communication and analytical skills
- Digital audio recording and editing, basic photojournalism
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, online content management systems, and social media
- Must have ability to meet deadlines, take direction and work as part of a team
- Must have the ability to multitask and work well under pressure
- Must be able to write, edit and produce content consistent with the NPR style
- Understanding of public radio’s core values
EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS:
- At least three years of professional journalism experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, communications or a related field
- Proven track record of producing work at the highest level
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Experience in reporting on health or health care issues preferred
- Must have a valid California drivers license and reliable transportation
REPORTS TO: Director of Program Content
CLASSIFICATION: Full time, exempt
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to Valley Public Radio, 3437 W. Shaw #101 Fresno, CA 93711 or email email@example.com. No phone calls please.
DATE POSTED: JANUARY 19, 2016 -- POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Valley Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.