Valley Public Radio is seeking a news director to lead the station’s trusted, award-winning news department in Central California. The ideal candidate is a veteran journalist with a track record of excellence, proven leadership and commitment to ethics. Applicants should bring with them experience in broadcast, print or digital platforms and tools. Candidates should be ready to use their skills and experience to support and inspire a talented team of reporters and help develop their coverage of both enterprise and daily news stories. We are looking for a candidate who can excel while bringing out the best in others, and who is familiar with the news values of public radio journalism. Excellent news judgement and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment are essential. Applicants should also bring with them familiarity with creative approaches to audio storytelling. This position is based at Valley Public Radio’s broadcast center in Clovis, California. VPR operates stations in Fresno and Bakersfield, serving a seven-county region stretching from the Los Angeles County line to Yosemite National Park. This is an at-will position.
- Oversee all news content for broadcast and digital platforms
- Supervise station reporters and news producers
- Conduct editorial meetings with staff, evaluate pitches, assign stories
- Coach and assist reporters through the reporting, writing, editing and production process
- Coordinate with other stations and NPR for regional and national content
- Supervise newscast production and operations, including breaking news
- Report, write and edit news content as needed online and on-air
- Facilitate news-focused station events, public forums and other community engagement
- Maintain high standards for ethics and instill values of fairness, accuracy and honesty, consistent with the values of public radio
- Interact with station staff, volunteers, listeners and others at events, during membership campaigns, and in other settings
- Perform work in a timely manner with attention to detail in a fast-paced environment
- Other duties as assigned
- Ten years or more of professional journalism experience
- Experience with digital audio/video editing software
- Experience working with other reporters in a collaborative environment
- Prior management and/or editorial experience preferred
Valley Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. It provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees for jobs, skills training and promotions regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
It will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees who are qualified individuals with a disability as defined by law. Should you require assistance due to a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for your application process, please send an email to email@example.com or call 559-862-2480.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org