Full-time, Exempt, Temporary (one-year, grant-funded position)
The Multimedia Reporter/Editor is responsible for contributing digital and broadcast content to Side Effects Public Media, WFYI’s health-focused news service. The role reports and produces spot and enterprise stories with a digital-first approach and works with other reporters to adapt and enhance broadcast content for effective digital and social presentations that deepen readers’ experience and understanding.
- Report and produce spot news, enterprise and long-form with a digital-first approach to ensure Side Effects news service and digital channels have frequent and consistent content updates, including timely blog posts, interactive packages and digital audio.
- File related audio content for broadcast, often developed from the same reporting.
- Edit reporters’ spot news pieces to improve and enhance for web, including editing text and headlines. Curate available local news content from nonprofit news partners, editing for Side Effectslens and style as needed.
- Work with reporters to produce digital packages, including editing text and headlines for web, researching photos, and brainstorming graphics and interactives.
- Develop and implement social media and digital engagement strategy to grow audience and engagement for the health news service. Write social posts and newsletters.
- Builds online posts, sections and features using the NPR Core Publisher content management system, or another CMS such as WordPress.
- Prepare social media campaign elements to share with distribution partners for promoting high-impact stories or series that they republish.
- Follow developments in the health beat in Indiana.
- Edits freelance digital contributions.
- Experience working in an online news environment, preferably in public media
- Excellent communication skills and a commitment to collaborative work and learning
- The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and to work under deadline pressure
- A demonstrated grasp of tools and techniques for the visual presentation of data online
- Demonstrated proficiency in all facets of online content production, including writing and AP Style, basic audio and video production, and photography and photo editing
- Exposure to and experience with a variety of content management platforms
- Demonstrated knowledge of social media strategies and best practices
- Expertise in public health, social or health sciences or social work preferred
- High energy and passion for WFYI Public Media mission and core values of: Operating with unquestionable integrity; collaborating with each other and with community partners; respecting everyone; serving with humility; embracing change; delivering excellence every day.
HOW TO APPLY
Send cover letter (including salary requirements) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Human Resources, WFYI, 1630 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202, on or before Monday, April 2, 2018.
PLEASE NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK-INS