WRVO Public Media seeks a new morning news host to join our award-winning news team. The person in this position serves as the local host for WRVO’s most important daypart. He/she writes, prepares and delivers news and continuity during local portions of Morning Edition. As such, the person in this position is the primary “voice” of WRVO. The person in this position also contributes news reports and features as required. The Morning Edition Host / News Reporter works closely with the Director of News and Public Affairs to assure timely, accurate delivery of local news content to WRVO listeners, adhering to the objectives and values set forth by WRVO Public Media and the State University of New York at Oswego.
- Serve as local host of WRVO’s Morning Edition, 5am-10am weekdays
- Produce and deliver local newscasts throughout the program
- Write and/or rewrite news copy for delivery in the WRVO and public radio style
- Prepare and post social media messages during the morning news shift
- Operate console for live broadcast
- Prepare additional news stories and features as assigned
- Work with News Director to plan and execute story ideas
- Produce voicetracking for daily automation
- Participate in on-air fundraising
- Attend and participate in WRVO station events as assigned
- Serve as WRVO representative at station events, meetings, conferences and other functions as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or greater in Journalism or a related field, and/or at least two years of equivalent professional experience, preferably in public media;
- Demonstrated ability to be an engaging on-air personality
- Willingness to work non-traditional hours, with strict reliability standards
- A strong commitment to public radio news values and journalistic ethics
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Ability to use various forms of news technology, including computers phones, radio consoles, digital recorders and cameras, and digital editing software
WRVO Public Media is the leading public radio station in the Syracuse, New York market. Our 13-station network reaches approximately 20 counties in Central New York and Southern Ontario, and includes stations in Syracuse, Utica, Watertown, Oswego, Ithaca, Cortland, Hamilton, Norwich, Rome, Geneva and Clayton. Our News Department is consistently honored by the Associated Press and other journalism organizations. Our main studios are located on the campus of SUNY Oswego, with satellite studios in downtown Syracuse.
For a complete job description and application instructions, visit wrvo.org/employment.
The Employer for this position is the Research Foundation of the State University of New York (SUNY), an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.