New Hampshire Public Radio is looking for a curious, innovative and engaging reporter to join our growing newsroom and cover Western New Hampshire for us. The Western NH Reporter will live in the region and primarily report for the area, producing daily news pieces and features. He or she may also perform general assignment reporting throughout the state, as needed. We’re looking for a reporter with a broad range of skills: someone who will jump on breaking news, but also someone who has a passion for creative storytelling and exploring unexpected stories that touch our audience – both in the region and statewide. The Reporter will work from a home office and occasionally come into our Concord, NH office.
New Hampshire Public Radio is an award-winning media company that delivers news, information, analysis, arts and entertainment programming to 177,000 weekly listeners across the state and region.
- Gather, write and produce news reports both on-air and for digital distribution.
- Use initiative and source development to originate news. Ensure timely enterprise reporting
- Maintain current working knowledge of Western NH issues and news events.
- Develop new projects for NHPR news, including multi-part series and digital products, with a focus on journalism and storytelling that engages a new audience.
- Work varied shifts to meet news coverage demands, including breaking news, storm conditions and other appropriate coverage reasons.
- Utilize social media applications, such as Facebook, Twitter and others, to disseminate news to the NHPR audience.
- Participate in station fundraising, live appearances and sponsorship activities.
- Seek professional development opportunities and take initiative to learn new skills in reporting, on-air presentation and digital news production.
- A minimum of two years reporting experience required. One year of broadcast journalism preferred.
- Excellent writing skills, including radio script writing.
- Demonstrated news judgment in recognizing the relative importance of a news story and in developing stories appropriately.
- Demonstrated initiative in developing sources to produce original news coverage.
- Ability to develop creative approaches to human interest coverage and feature stories .
- Passion and intuition for radio, a keen eye and ear for media trends and audience needs.
- Technologically versatile with willingness to expand skills. Multimedia skills, including experience in producing or editing digital media as well as audio is desirable. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel is required.
- Working knowledge of New Hampshire and the region desirable.
- Knowledge of relevant FCC rules and regulations.
- Good organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- B.A. in relevant field or equivalent experience.
NHPR is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply on the job opportunities page of our website, NHPR.org, or through this link: https://nhpr.applicantpro.com/jobs/521363.html