Nashville Public Radio is hiring a seasoned journalist to be our Senior Editor, the second-in-command in the newsroom.
We're looking for someone who, like us, believes daily news can yield journalistic gems that help us understand more about our world, especially with thoughtful context and real voices.
The Senior Editor is the lead editor on daily coverage, making sure our reporters meet the highest standards of journalism and produce creative, engaging storytelling. She or he unearths under-covered stories, assigns daily news to reporters and edits the coverage to make it shine on air and online. This person will also bring ideas about how daily news can help us reach audiences on existing and emerging platforms.
The Senior Editor will join a mid-sized newsroom of highly productive and talented radio journalists with varied interests and backgrounds. He or she works in near-constant communication with the News Director, whose focus is on editing longer stories and overseeing the news operation as a whole. The Senior Editor's schedule is heaviest in the afternoon and early evening, while editing daily stories and web posts.
We're looking for candidates with diverse life experiences. Prior on-air experience is a plus. Excellent communication skills, teamwork and a joy for life are a must.
Essential skills include:
- Proven ability to lead others in audio production environment
- Ability to write and edit audio copy and report stories
- Efficiency under deadline pressure
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both in collaborating with a diverse group of individuals and receiving constructive feedback
- Experience finding and working with new talent
- Thoughtfulness about news coverage, including prioritizing stories with impact and voices of those who are affected by news, not just the newsmakers
Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a resume
- cover letter
- selection of personal reporting clips
- the contact info for at least three references (including one person whom you have edited), and
- an example of an story you edited with an explanation of how you took it to the next level.
Nashville is a car town, so this editor does need reliable transportation. Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits, including health insurance and 401K. Nashville Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer.