KUOW is the Puget Sound Region’s NPR-affiliated public radio service for local, regional, national and international news, information and cultural programming. They serve more than one million users monthly: on-air, online, live streaming and on demand. KUOW operates four broadcast frequencies in Seattle and Western Washington State and produces discrete content services on an additional two HD channels. KUOW has the 6th-largest news room among individual stations in the public radio system. The mission of KUOW is to create and serve an informed public—one challenged and invigorated by an understanding and appreciation of events, ideas and cultures. The station is licensed to the University of Washington, which is assisted in its operation and management by Puget Sound Public Radio, a private nonprofit corporation established in 1999 and governed by a community board.
Manages news and information content produced for KUOW. Serves as lead editor.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages news content production and ensures that such content is consistent with the mission, goals and editorial policies of the station.
- Implements KUOW editorial vision, policies and priorities.
- Supervises professional staff of reporters and editors; provides orientation and training for all assigned staff; assigns and coordinates news coverage, conducts annual performance evaluations.
- Manages resources: monitors news production budget; ensures that reporting produced by news staff, commissioned reports, or reports produced in collaboration with any other stations or organizations meets professional editorial and technical standards.
- Determines, oversees and coordinates online and social media strategy regarding local reporting and serves as liaison to on-line producers.
- May make public appearances on behalf of the station, including on-air fundraising.
- Works with other departments as needed and as directed by the Program Director.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and five years of broadcast journalism experience or equivalent in print journalism. Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute for stated requirements.
- At least three years of newsroom management experience in print or radio.
- Experience in news and public affairs programming.
- Demonstrated organizational and leadership abilities.
Together the staff and management of KUOW have created the profile of the ideal candidate for the News Director position. They will consider candidates who most clearly demonstrate the following skills and attributes:
- Expertise in Journalism/Industry Knowledge;
- Problem Solving and Decision Making/Conflict Management;
- Planning Skills.
For more detail, please visit the posting at https://livingstonassociates.net/openings.html#KUOW.
HOW TO APPLY:
KUOW is being assisted in this search by Livingston Associates. Inquiries are welcome with Livingston Associates. For consideration, please visit the job posting and apply online at https://livingstonassociates.net/openings.html#KUOW.
Date for full consideration: July 31, 2017
The University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
To learn more about KUOW, visit: http://kuow.org/
Search Assistance by:
Livingston Associates – http://www.livingstonassociates.net/
Inquiries are welcome with Livingston Associates