The Desk Editor will oversee one of WESA’s newly created newsroom teams, comprised of beat reporters and a digital producer/editor, in order to provide thoughtful, comprehensive coverage of those core beats for both digital and broadcast audiences. The Desk Editor will help reporters develop not just individual stories, but beats as a whole, including developing sources and generating ideas. The Desk Editor will be skilled in editing multiplatform stories for broadcast and web, including incorporating multimedia elements and promoting via social media. The Desk Editor will work closely with other editors and the News Director to coordinate coverage.
- Lead a small newsroom team composed of 3-5 beat reporters and a digital producer
- Field, craft, and approve story pitches from reporters, as well as generate your own ideas for assignment
- Assist and guide reporters through the reporting/editing process from ideation through publication
- Provide comprehensive, thoughtful editing of audio and text versions of spot and feature stories, to fully take advantage of the respective mediums
- Be willing to work during off hours and weekends as needed
- Make public appearances as opportunity arises to enhance WESA’s brand
- Participate in on-air and online fundraising as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism-related field or equivalent experience / training
- 3+ years of editing experience in a professional newsroom with multimedia news content training and experience (radio experience preferred)
- 6+ years of experience as a journalist
- Ability to guide, assist, and develop story ideas from reporters
- Ability to edit for both broadcast and web audiences
- Self-motivated team player with a track record of producing daily news stories and features of interest to local audiences
- Sound and ethical judgment, with a commitment to standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
- Knowledge of Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania is helpful
- Ability to travel throughout the region and work flexible hours when necessary, including reliable vehicle, current driver license, clean driving record, and adequate auto insurance
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation is an independent public media organization located in the historic South Side of Pittsburgh, PA. Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation is a 501-c3 non-profit operating independent public radio stations 90.5 WESA and sister station 91.3 WYEP.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation offers:
Salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package that includes medical insurance, paid medical leave, 403(b) plan with matching contributions, paid vacation and holidays and a workplace culture that is fun, diverse and progressive.
Applicants are invited to send cover letter, resume, at least three samples of work relevant to this positon, and references to email@example.com. In your response, let us know how you heard about the position.
Please, no phone calls.
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- Status: Full-time exempt
- Reports to: News Director
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.