Colorado Public Radio is re-structuring its thriving newsroom to capitalize on its continued growth and is looking for a seasoned professional to join the newsroom's leadership ranks as News Director. The News Director, second in command to the Executive Editor, manages day-to-day news coverage across all platforms; and works with editors and reporters to develop ideas for features, daily spots, interviews and digital content. The News Director collaborates with the Executive Editor on developing coverage priorities and newsroom growth. This position serves as the back-up to the Executive Editor in running daily editorial operations and representing the newsroom to the larger organization.
- Manages the day-to-day planning and implementation of CPR News content and resources across all platforms.
- Consults with News leadership to set daily staffing and coverage assignments; serves as decision-maker to resolve conflicting priorities among platforms and programs.
- Ensures all areas of CPR News effectively collaborate on the development and best use of content across all platforms.
- Collaborates with Executive Editor and News managers on all newsroom planning to set direction and tone of content.
- Supervises daily editors and is primary editor as needed on radio features, daily news and interviews.
- Serves as primary back-up for the Executive Editor.
- Non-standard working hours guaranteed.
CPR News delivers insightful and impartial news from around the world, across the nation, and throughout Colorado, examining its relevance to our state and connecting it to our community. Online, we pay special attention to the Colorado part of that equation.
Colorado is a great place to live and work. Denver is known for its sunshine, world-renowned art museums, thriving performing and fine arts scene, terrific restaurants and more. The nearby Rocky Mountains are an incredible playground for world-class skiing, hiking, biking, hunting and fishing. As a dynamic news state, CPR News has covered the legalization of marijuana, gay marriage, oil and gas industry, arts and cultural issues and much more. All this in a growing newsroom with mountain views.
Knowledge and competencies:
- Significant journalistic experience 8-10 years minimum; public radio experience required.
- Strong judgment and understanding of journalistic standards, practices and ethics.
- Excellent management skills and experience; at least 4-6 years.
- Meticulous organizational skills; experience managing multi-platform news.
To apply please submit a cover letter, resume, three professional references, salary expectations and at least three samples of your work to email@example.com with "News Director" in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Competitive salary and benefits. No phone calls or drop ins please.
Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity.