Colorado Public Radio is looking for a News Director who wants to lead, inspire and grow a talented multi-platform team providing meaningful, thoughtful and in-depth news for hundreds of thousands of Coloradans. This senior leader will provide strategic direction for a team that has quadrupled in the past ten years to a staff of 27. Building on CPR’s current news plan, the News Director will develop the long-term strategies, tactics, resources, budget - and especially the people - to grow CPR News into the state’s most trusted news source.
- Sets the CPR News editorial agenda, both short- and long-term.
- Supervises the news management team.
- Leads newsroom planning.
- Regularly reviews and provides constructive feedback on CPR News content.
- Develops ongoing training and skills development programs.
- Identifies and implements best practices and new tools.
- Allocates resources in support of organization’s editorial mission. Monitors and collaborates on the development of the department budget.
- Significant journalistic experience, 10+ years; public radio experience ideal.
- Strong judgment and understanding of journalistic standards, practices and ethics.
- Proven communications skills with a wide range of people.
- Excellent management skills and experience; at least 5-7 years.
- Meticulous organizational skills; budgeting experience ideal.
- Strong leader who creates a culture of innovation, accountability, professional growth, and collaboration.
For the complete responsibilities and knowledge & competencies, please see the full job description.
Go to cprnews.org to see the broad range of CPR’s impartial, insightful and relevant news. And learn more about the extraordinary group of people the CPR News Director will lead at http://www.cpr.org/about/staff.
To apply, please submit the following in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org with CPR News Director in the subject line:
- Cover letter that explains how your experience and leadership skills makes you ready to lead CPR News
- Three professional references
- Salary expectations
No phone calls or drop-ins please.
Colorado Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages workplace diversity.