Colorado Public Radio News is looking for a morning Digital Assistant News Editor to help steer our growing newsroom's online report into the busiest part of the day, and someone who can bring success and savvy to our efforts at engaging new and diverse audiences on social media.
The ideal candidate will be a digital news native with the chops and passion to quickly juggle and prioritize tasks, think strategically and tactically, edit for the big picture and the telling details, and do it all in a collegial and constructive manner.
This person edits and manages content on all our digital platforms -- news website, app, Facebook, Twitter, and soon, Instagram and others with an understanding of the discrete audiences for each, and crafting work accordingly. They have career experience to excel at all of this unsupervised.
This person works in a collaborative newsroom, alongside award-winning journalists to help them recognize and plan for the digital potential in their reporting and storytelling, and then edit and advise them through the process so that they can craft memorable and engaging work.
The ideal candidate will be someone who stays informed, engaged and excited by the changes and possibilities the digital news landscape presents; someone who can bring great ideas about coverage, presentation and engagement to the table.
CPR News delivers insightful and impartial news from around the world, across the nation, and throughout Colorado, examining its relevance to our state and connecting it to our community. Online, we pay special attention to the Colorado part of that equation.
Colorado is a great place to live and work. Denver is known for its sunshine, world-renowned art museums, thriving performing and fine arts scene, terrific restaurants and more. The nearby Rocky Mountains are an incredible playground for skiing, hiking, biking, hunting, fishing and more.
Sound good? Sound challenging? We want to hear from you.
- Identification with the mission and purpose of Colorado Public Radio.
- Demonstrated success at managing a variety of activities efficiently and effectively.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven success working as a team toward mutual goals.
- Effective team communication skills.
- A four-year college degree in journalism or a related field or equivalent years of experience in the digital news space, including at least two years with editorial responsibilities.
- A demonstrated understanding of modern digital technologies, software and concepts, including but not limited to:
- Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom
- Adobe Audition
- Content management systems (Drupal ideally)
- Google Analytics
- Google Drive apps
- Basic HTML and CSS
- Microsoft Office apps
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter, resume, three writing samples and links to clips that demonstrate the results of your editing and engagement work to email@example.com with “CPR Digital Assistant News Editor” in the subject line. Please also include links to your social media accounts and three professional references.
No phone calls or drop ins please. Competitive salary and benefits.
Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity.