POSITION TITLE: Content Editor
REPORTS TO: Executive Producer
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
Climate One at The Commonwealth Club is changing the conversation about America’s energy, economy and environment.
Climate One offers a forum for candid discussion among climate scientists, business executives, policymakers, activists, and concerned citizens. Our live events are recorded and distributed to a global audience via our radio shows and podcasts. By gathering inspiring, credible, and compelling information, we provide an essential resource to change-makers looking to make a difference.
The Content Editor is responsible for editing, packaging and distributing Climate One’s radio, written and video content across all distribution channels. This work is performed in alignment with the goals of The Commonwealth Club, the nation's oldest and largest public affairs forum and Climate One’s parent organization.
The Content Editor is a hands-on position and is the primary editor for:
- Copy and images on the Climate One website.
- Scripts for a weekly podcast and radio show aired on NPR Now and other public radio stations.
- Video clips from each live event
- A monthly TV show broadcast on KRCB TV 22
Reporting to the Executive Producer, the Content Editor serves as Climate One’s journalistic lead and as a member of the senior staff team. The Director is responsible for Climate One’s and works closely with the Director of Audience Engagement to grow our reach and impact.
Status: Salaried, Exempt
Schedule: Full time; evening events 40-45 times a year
Salary/Compensation: Salary is commensurate with public media compensation levels; 100% health, dental, and vision benefits; and 401K plan.
1. Manage Climate One’s content:
- Manage all aspects of Climate One’s Drupal-based web site, including posting and editing event listings, photos, bios, podcasts, and videos.
- Edit scripts written by freelancers for Climate One’s radio and TV shows. Direct tone and sound of the shows.
- Manage several freelance audio and video editors who put together the weekly radio and video program using your scripts and detailed direction.
2. With the Director of Audience Engagement, monitor, analyze, and report on Climate One’s progress toward achieving its impact and content goals.
- Develop and monitor audience engagement evaluation dashboard metrics (web traffic, social media engagement, podcast listeners, TV/video viewers)
- Utilize a variety of digital analytic programs (Google, Facebook, Twitter, MailChimp, Podtrac) to develop target metrics and track and report weekly and monthly results.
Bachelor’s degree required.
Ability to convey strong knowledge of energy, environment and sustainability issues in language relevant to experts and accessible to non-experts.
Minimum of four years of experience in news journalism, with at least two years experience in climate-related fields of energy, environment, food, water, transportation or other sustainability field.
Desired Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of sustainability issues ranging from agriculture, transportation, energy, policy and other domains.
- Excellent written communications, the ability to work effectively independently with limited direction, as well as with others as part of a team. Expertise in the editing and packaging of content for sophisticated general audience.
- Experience editing copy, images and other content elements for the web, radio and other platforms.
- Skill in organizing work and ability to manage and collaborate with freelance editors and reporters as well as internal staff.
- Ability to work well under pressure while juggling content in different media with varied production schedules.
- Required technical proficiencies: Desktop-based software; knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Google Drive, and content management systems.
- Ideal candidate will also possess knowledge of Drupal, Adobe Creative Suite, Dropbox, Google Docs, and basic HTML.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit a single PDF attachment that includes a cover letter, resume or CV with salary requirements, and two writing samples to email@example.com. The subject line of your email should be: Content Editor/ your name.
Application deadline: Position is open until filled.
Thank you in advance for your interest in Climate One at the Commonwealth Club. Due to the volume of applicants, only candidates who will be invited to interview will be contacted.