This reporter provides regular, in-depth coverage of how the people of the Pittsburgh region build their community and move about it in their daily lives. This reporter is comfortable reporting stories in multiple media: audio, text, video, information graphics and social media, and is adept at covering the beat through a mixture of timely spot reporting and in-depth reports. The position requires familiarity with trends and theories in housing, transportation, architecture, urban planning and sustainable development, and a willingness to continually hone and deepen that knowledge. It also requires skill in translating that expertise into compelling and accessible story-telling. It requires a willingness to connect with audiences via social media and in-person engagement. This full-time exempt position reports to the News Director.
- Research, report, write and produce multimedia spot and enterprise story packages for WESA’s air and its digital platforms, at a rate that meets the productivity goals attached to the beat by newsroom managers.
- Take ownership of the beat and strive to be the market’s best-informed, best-known, most productive reporter on the beat topic.
- Consistently generate and pitch creative, thoughtful and original story ideas in multiple media, while being willing to accept and willingly execute assignments from newsroom managers.
- Demonstrate or gain expertise in doing live reports, whether from the field or in-studio.
- Be skilled at mixing and editing one’s own audio reports.
- Be skilled at writing text versions of stories that are not merely “webified” scripts, but take advantage of the medium’s opportunities for depth, context and different story-telling approaches.
- Be willing and able willing to take still photos and video in the field to fill out multimedia stories, when WESA digital producers are not available to do so.
- Use social media regularly, adeptly and responsibly to engage and grow audiences, crowdsource stories and expand one’s source base.
- Be willing to work during off hours and weekends as needed to fulfill beat responsibilities.
- Be willing to work whenever needed to help WESA rise to the moment of major breaking stories or community crises.
- Understand that helping to conceive and execute civic engagement activities, particularly those related to this beat, is a responsibility of WESA beat reporters.
- Make public appearances as opportunity arises to enhance the beat’s and WESA’s brand.
- Participate in on-air and online fundraising as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism-related field or equivalent experience / training
- One or more years of reporting in a professional broadcast newsroom environment with multimedia news content training and experience
- Strong on-air reporting, writing and technical skills as well as a commitment to and understanding of multi-platform journalism; ability to write for both broadcast and web audiences
- Ability to gather quality audio in the field, to edit and mix ably for use on air or digital platforms.
- Self-motivated team player with a track record of producing daily news stories and features of interest to local audiences
- Sound and ethical judgment, with a commitment to standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Well informed in a wide range of areas beyond current events
- Knowledge of Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania is helpful
- Demonstrated ability to shoot and edit video and photos
- Experience posting to a variety of social media platforms, showing both creativity and sound judgment
- Up-to-date knowledge of new media techniques and a commitment to following and embracing advances in technology
- Ability to travel throughout the region and work flexible hours when necessary, including reliable vehicle, current driver license, clean driving record, and adequate auto insurance
Salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package that includes medical insurance, paid medical leave, 403(b) plan with matching contributions, paid vacation and holidays and a workplace culture that is diverse and progressive.
Applicants are invited to send cover letter, resume, samples of professional work and three references to email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.
WESA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and actively seeks diversity in the workforce.